Friday 8 May 2015

The brand new iCar!

I wrote this little skit before I heard that Apple really IS developing a car. So hard to do satire.

INT. APPLE CAR DEALERSHIP
A SALESGUY meets TED, an eager customer.

SALESGUY
Come on into the show room, Ted. Ready?

TED
Am I!

SALESGUY
Here it is: The iCar! Apple’s first automobile.

TED
Wow! Sleek! Very cool.

SALESGUY
Six years in development. Focused on the customer experience every step of the way. Go on. Touch it.

TED
It’s… like touching air.

SALESGUY
Frictionless surface. Designed to cut through air like a shark slices through water… Self-cleaning surfaces. Adaptive all-weather tires. It can hit 300 KPH in sixty seconds and runs on salt water. Want to take it for a spin?

TED
Yeah! Uh… where… where’s the door handle?

SALESGUY
I know, right? Removed those unsightly things. Door’s hydraulic.

TED
Where’s the release?

SALESGUY
That’s the best part. You’ll never guess!

TED
I give.

SALESGUY
Under the car!

Ted gets on his hands and knees and looks under car. Reaches. 

SALESGUY (CONT’D)
Reach… no, further under. If you get on your back, you can… stretch. Up more. There! You got it. Hop in.

TED
Did the seat just shift?

SALESGUY
Smart materials. Press the start button.

TED
So quiet! Can hardly hear the engine. And the dash… so minimal.

SALESGUY
Embedded digital displays. 

TED
Radio? CD Player?

SALESGUY
Better: it has the complete U2 collection. And auto downloads all their new songs. For free.

TED
But I hate U2.

SALESGUY
No, you don’t.

TED
Yes. I do.

SALESGUY
I don’t think so. Move your arms.

TED
I can’t! 

SALESGUY
Pull hard. It’s Ultra Grip Velcro. No more sloppy seat belts.

TED
Hey… there’s only one pedal…

SALESGUY
Streamlined design. Tap once for gas, twice for brakes.

TED
There’s no speedometer!

SALESGUY
Ted, if you’re going too fast, the police will tell you. That’s what they’re for. 

TED
I guess… I…

SALESGUY
Which reminds me. You’ll need to upgrade your license.

TED
What? Why?

SALESGUY
Evolution of driving. You don’t want to fall behind, like the dinosaurs and the baby boomers, do you?

TED
No. God no. Of course not.

SALESGUY
Great! We’ll be updating the interface every six months. Here’s a brochure.

TED
Thanks.

SALESGUY
Think of it, Ted: you’ll be the envy of all your neighbours. And let me tell you, Ted: the ladies LOVE this car.

TED
Yeah… Aw, heck, I’ll take it!

SALESGUY
Perfect. Sign this User Agreement form and I’ll get the billing going… What are you doing?

TED
Reading it.

SALESGUY
Don’t bother. We reserve the right to update the terms retroactively at any time without informing you.

TED
Oh. I see.
(signs)

SALESGUY
Congratulations! You are the proud owner of a brand new iCAR!

TED
Yes! Comes with Apple Care, right?

SALESGUY
Absolutely Ted. You’re covered until the iCAR II comes out. We only keep parts for current products, you understand.

TED
Oh. When’s the next model coming out?

SALESGUY
(checks watch)
Wednesday. You passed the line up for it when you came in.

No comments:

Post a Comment